Thursday, March 20, 2008

image essay#5






My hope is that what I am taking so much time to do with this project, taking risk and making this piece a true example of my concept, is evident now even in the beginning stages. I am quit aware that I have so much work ahead of me, but I am not fearful or discouraged but mainly exited and dedicated to the execution of the piece. Instead of 11x17 paper I am using a 17x24 piece of ply wood that I painted white. The image is drawn on symmetrically, and where the "halo" is around the figure-I've painted it gold, with yellow beam lines. I incorporated color into the piece because I think it makes the concept and the symbolism three-dimensional. For me the color yellow is representational of God, light, warmth, and love. It is also the color that is typically used as the color of halos in paintings. So my using it draws the viewer to the irony of this glowing religious and violent figure.
I also chose the wooden board because I plan on attaching my textures not by gluing them to the surface, but rather nailing then to the board. I thought of using nails because there is a sense of drama with them and the literal "hammering in" of ideas. I believe in the finished piece you will be able to see the image, but also there will be these nails that extend forward; and from the side angle of the piece you'll be able to see the amount. Also I am using mostly, if not all, transparency papers for the texture, rather then normal paper. I feel that by using transparency I will have this great effect of overlap; and conceptually I am using transparency paper because the terms in which I am voicing 'wrath' are not transparent--they are complicated and under communicated, so once again I'm playing with irony.
I am sorry that I can not physically show you gestalt principles in the piece do to lack of texture at this time; however I can assure that those principles will be applied with the utmost concern.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

I really can't wait to see how this turns out! There isn't enough development to really comment on. Keep taking risks!