Friday, April 25, 2008

artxpose four

Gordon Matta-Clark: "You Are the Measure"
March 4th 5pm
Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, Illonois
Exhibition

I attended the exhibition "You are the measure" by artist Gordon Matta-Clark (1943-1978). Matta-Clark's work in this exhibition was from a whole array of mediums including building cuts, sculptures, photographs, drawings, films, and notebooks. His work filled the entire first floor of the gallery. The main attraction of the exhibition was Matta-Clark's building cuts. His work is all relative to one another. He makes cuts, many of which are elliptical, through buildings. He will make these cuts through floors, ceilings, walls, roofs, windows, mantels, staircases, exterior walls, or a combination of the elements. In the exhibition he had photographic documentation all throughout the gallery; he also had a film projected in an interior room. The two main rooms had a collection of his "cuts" spread around the space. Spectators were able to get close to the sculptures and walk around to see all angles.How did you interpret or react to what was presented to you? I thought that this exhibit was very intriguing. I did not go to see Matta-Clark's work, but I was impressed by it. I had never heard of his work, and I had never seen work that was quit like it. I enjoyed seeing the cuts, and perhaps even more so the photographs of them. The photographs were taken inside the building, and it was so interesting because you saw this room, but then apiece was missing and what you had instead was a peak into another room (or more). I also liked that these buildings were in big cities such as Manhattan and Chicago because I saw interiors that I am not normally exposed to. I was also very impressed by the mere ability for Matta-Clark to actually make these cuts, and make them relatively clean and supported. I imagine that each cut he made must have had very much planning previously. I think that he had a good I for what is appealing. I think it took him to make this art that he cared about and have it be attractive, rather than someone who just cut into buildings. I would give this exhibition a rating of ten, it was an interesting learning experience for myself, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to be exposed Matta-Clark's very original pieces.

No comments: