Thursday, April 24, 2008

artxpose two

Russian Ark
April 10th 7:30pm
Dorthy Uber Bryan Theatre
Film

I attended a showing of Russian Ark a 2002 Russian movie directed by Alexander Sokurov. The film lasted approximately ninety minutes and spoken in Russian with English subtitles. The film has absolutely no cuts, it is a continual shot. The piece shows thirty-three rooms, and has a cast of over two thousand. An unknown narrator is present throughout the film directing our view of the world. He is accompanied by a "European," it is unclear there relationship exactly, but it seems they may be ghosts. They walk through various settings, such as a palace, museum, and courtyard. The entire movie is filled of settings of Russian history.

I was amazed by this film first off due to its costumes. The costumes were brilliant works and appeared historically accurate. Also the makeup was done very well. The settings were stunning; it felt as if I was really walking through a palace, a museum. Because of the narrator moving the camera, I felt I became him. Each room was different and elaborately decorated. Due to the film being filmed as one shot there was certainly a continuum I felt; as if it was taking place right before me and the same time framed existed, unlike most movies today. Although there were all of these interesting components in the film, it lacked a good story line. There was uncertainty thought the film as to what was going on, perhaps they were trying to make it appear dream-like. However, I became bored and felt as if the piece was dragging on. I would give Russian Ark a rating of seven. The points are awarded for the creativity and ingenuity of the piece, but further points are withheld due to the films poor story.

No comments: