Thursday, April 24, 2008

artxpose one

MFA Thesis Exhibition {Momoko Okada}
April 14th 7pm
Willard Wankelman Gallery
Exhibition

I attended the Master of Fine Arts Thesis Exhibition on April 14th. I paid specific attention to the work of Momoko Okada whose work was displayed in the Willard Wankelman Gallery. The lighting of the room was dim and warm. The light created an intimate setting. On the entry wall to the left hung several ovals with images of the artists work, as well as a painting around the works. There were five metal-work sculptures presented to the viewer on wood and iron stands made by the artist. There was also a narrative video of two-thousand images also created by the artist in a sectioned-off corner. Momoko remained in the Gallery the entire evening to meet spectators, and perhaps explain her works. Momoko's work was quit stunning and what I believe was the highlight of the exhibition (thus my focus on her). I was so intrigued the amount of colors Momo manipulated on the metal. Also the delicate details that was apparent in each piece. She used a wide range of metalsmithing techniques that added much interest to the individual pieces as well as the whole. All of her works came together cohesively. The organisms were enchanting, with her use of other mediums to compliment her work (e.g. wood, glass, fibers). It was clear that Momo was highly invested in her work and that she had a passion for creating these organisms. I believe I was most impressed by her finite detail in pieces. The time it took these pieces was something that was definitely on my mind, as well her skill. I was very enthralled by her originality all thought the gallery; she included mounted graphic prints, a video, handmade tables, and interesting lighting figure. I think that Momo has been living and breathing these creations for sometime, and they were truly alive at the exhibition.
I would give this exhibition a rating of ten. I give it a ten because it stands out as the most impressive collection of art I have seen all year. Her work was fresh, lively, poetic, and absolutely stunning.

No comments: