Thursday, April 24, 2008

artxpose three

The Lion King {theatre production}
March 8th 8pm
The Stranahan Theatre
Play [musical]

I attended the Tony Award winning musical the Lion King on March 8th at the Stranahan Theatre. The stage performance is based on the 1994 Disney animated movie. In addition to the musical numbers from the movie, area new set of original songs incorporated. The musical debuted in 1997, and is directed by Julie Taymor. Taymor was also responsible for the designing of all the costumes of the production, as well as the design of the puppetry. Although the stage version is based on the animated movie, there is a completely different feel. The stage production takes away the children’s cartoon feel and spins it into this African tribal performance. The original songs, costumes and puppetry truly mimic African culture.From the very first scene of the play I was absolutely blown away. I was overwhelmed my so many elements. From the actual adaptation of the stage, to the signing that was so powerful, and the costumes and puppetry that were absolutely out of the world! Perhaps the combination of all these elements is what made me feel like I was a part of this piece somehow. I was actually brought to tears at a few sections; the meaning of this story, and the way the actors were the animal characters. It was like experiencing Africa, a symphony and ballet simultaneously. There was so much constantly happening on stage and so much rich detail. I found myself focusing on one thing, such as a characters puppet, in order to understand how it worked. Every single second of the performance was a beautiful piece of art. It was a feast for my eyes. I believe what impressed me the most were the costumes. They were so unusual and inventive, it was impossible to take it all in. During the performance I fantasized about fashion design and mimicking the color pallet present in Taymor designs. I give this production something that is beyond a ten. I don't know if numbers could be appropriate for something so complex, intricate, and emotional. I would recommend anyone to see this musical it is phenomenal.

No comments: